Sunday, June 14, 2009

summer book list

Plans; let's see if I actually achieve them.

50 minutes per ride x 2 rides per day = 100 minutes per day

100 minutes per day x 5 days a week = 500 minutes per week

9 weeks x 500 minutes per week = 4500 minutes on the bus this summer...

= 75 hours of reading! Assuming I finish the average book in 3.5 hours, that's 21 books. I'll lower the estimate to 18, factoring in my ambitions to read some lengthy classics and the inevitable drowsiness that will hit me in the mornings. :) Still, it's a good solid number...and I'm not even considering the reading I'll be doing with my feet firmly planted on the ground.

So the books of this summer are:

ALREADY READ
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
In the Woods - Tana French
Girl with a Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier
Bridget Jone's Diary - Helen Fielding
Accordian Crimes - Annie E. Proulx

READING
The Yiddish Policemen's Union - Michael Chabot
Light in August - William Faulkner
Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Nine Stories - J.D. Salinger
Up in the Old Hotel - Joseph Mitchell
The House of the Spirits - Isabelle Allende

WILL READ
Atlas Shrugged - Ann Rynd
A Mercy - Toni Morrison
Unaccustomed Earth - Jhumpa Lahiri
Dangerous Laughter - Steven Millhauser
Drown - Junot Diaz
Perdido Street Station - China Mieville
Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller
Pale Fire - Nabokov
Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

No comments:

Post a Comment